in response to someone asking why i didn’t make the originally non-white characters other races (like why i made martha white instead of asian or something): yes, this was fun for me, but it’s also indicative of a really messed-up culture in which POC are either rendered completely invisible in the media or treated as token minorities. whites being constructed as the default and 99% of the role models/characters that we see being white are parts of such a ubiquitous pattern that sometimes we don’t even realize how whitewashed shows are. so if people go through this picspam and think, “damn, where are all the white people?” maybe it’ll prompt them to think about how underrepresented and marginalized POC are in the media. if i made the originally non-white characters another minority, that effect might be lost.
also, this was just fun to make.
(click the cut to see the rest)
THIS IS SO EFFING GOOD. I CAN’T EVEN.
When looking at N Sync vs Milli Vanilli, it’s really not fair. I mean, even removing the aspect that these five are far superior, MV existed in a different time. While MV has two solid jams under their belts, Justin and Company have a deeper catalog and DID THEIR OWN SINGING.
Slagging on N Sync for being a boy band is useless, honestly. I don’t care if it’s manufactured because that is nothing new in pop music as its an industry that thrives in gloss. And really, Milli Vanilli was far more orchestrated and concocted since their career output was based on a lie.
Now, if in class we discussed N Sync versus Backstreet Boys that’s a more even battlefield. And I’ll really sharpen my claws for that one.
But in the end; Britney Spears for everything ever of all time.
This video makes me ugly-cry.
I find Britney Spears megamixes to be essential.
R U Mine? By the Arctic Monkeys. Indianapolis. March 16, 2012.
I was there and I lost my effing mind. The camera work is a bit shaky but the sound is awesome. They played it stupidly fast. And then I passed out from joy and had to recover before The Black Keys.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer first aired 15 years ago today.
She was crucial to my formative years. Buffy Summers was her own brand of smart and capable. And there have been far too few female characters since that have been as interesting and complex.
last updated: 7 March 2012
Here are some useful extensions, scripts, and tutorials for Tumblr. Scripts require a simple, one click install for Google Chrome. Firefox users may need to download Greasemonkey first before installing scripts.
As far as I know, these scripts/extensions can work together.
I’ll add more links as I think of them, and feel free to share your own tips or resources.
- Missing E - Probably the most popular Tumblr extension. Features: one click reblog/queue/drafts, automatically clears all tags when reblogging, adds tags to ask/reply, allows one click reply to comments, shuffle queue, adds timestamp to posts on your dashboard, replaces text (reblog, notes) with picture icons, reblog asks, and more. Downside: Tumblr apparently hates Missing E, and will try to scare you into disabling it.
- Xkit - Similar to Missing E. Some additional features: Unfollower check, shortens long posts on dashboard, highlight key terms in posts, download mp3 from audio posts.
- Tumblr Savior - Blacklist tags that you do not want to see on your dashboard. Downside: Not everyone tags.
Some selections from a larger collection of scripts (please note that I don’t use all of these, so I don’t know which ones still work):
- Tumblr Life - Quick links to sort your dashboard by content (photos, text, quotes, video, etc), adds keyboard shortcuts.
- Tumblr Hate - Do you keep seeing the same post reblogged in your dashboard? This script lets you “hate” that post so you won’t see it again.
- Tumblr Helper - Create post templates with common settings, add personal notes to users on your dashboard
- Tumtaster - download mp3s from tumblr
- Notification eraser - Maybe you have one post that keeps getting a ton of notes and you want the notifications to stop showing up in your dash.
- Tumblr Stats - hover over an avatar to see a user’s stats
- Block posts by source - self-explanatory
- Don’t Ask - gets rid of ask posts on your dashboard
- Make avatars bigger on your dashboard
- Unfollower check
- Edit tags from your dash
- Tumblr Settings - Change URL, ask and submit options, enable replies, time zone settings.
- Tumblr Preferences - Dashboard preferences, email address and password reset.
- Tumblr bookmarklet
- Tumblr Mega-Editor - mass edit your posts
- Use old customize theme page
- http://www.tumblr.com/show/photos (replace photos with other types of posts to filter your dash)
- How to reblog by post type (reblog a post as text, link, etc)
- Use “read more”
- Tumblr Backup Application (for Mac)
- Best of your tumblr - find your most popular posts
- Tumblr Stats - tells you about your tumblr
- Tumblr Tags - view all your tags
- Disqus - add comments section to your tumblr
- Trntbl - listen to all the music/audio posts on a tumblr
- Make a word cloudTumblr theme cutomization:
- Make a blogroll
- Theme recovery
- Combine ask and submit box
- How to add text to your ask page
- More tumblr resources: tumblring.net - academyoftumblr - tutorialsandmore
- Google Analytics
- Revolver Map
- Users online
- Flag counter
- Followers counter
- Know Anon - if you are getting harassed by anons, you can use this to find out their identity